Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Begining a nursing career

The process of becoming a register nurse seems straight forward. If there is a way to make something difficult I seem to find it.

I decided to enter into the degree program offered by the University of Ottawa. I was working in Pembroke an hour and a half drive from Ottawa and decided to not quit my job as school is expensive. I also decided to live in Pembroke instead of moving to the city. Choosing not to move I drove approximately 130 km to school each day and then back again. I did this and still worked every weekend, holiday and day off to pay for tuition.

I am happy to say that I made it through the entire four years driving back and forth and I still don't mind to drive. I used the same car throughout however I did trade it in for a new Toyota after my last year.

Now a degree in nursing does not make a person a nurse. The definition of nurse legally is a registered nurse (RN) or registered practical nurse (RPN). In order to be registered a nurse requires certain qualifications outlined by the governing body. In Ontario the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) is the governing body for both RN's and RPN's. www.cno.org

I am currently waiting for my results from writing the CRNE which is the exam. Once I pass this exam and pay membership fees I will qualify to be called a nurse.

Unfortunately it takes months for this eight hour exam to be marked therefore I will be waiting for a while.

I would like to get a job in health care in the meantime to help out financially however I have not found one so far. I thought with my degree in nursing I would be able to work as an unregulated health care aide or personal support worker however I have sent many resumes out and the two places I have heard from have both said that they cannot hire graduate nurses. A bit of a road block for me but I am sure I will eventually find something that I will be hired for.

No comments: