Monday, November 13, 2006

tambour door

I decided to make a tambour door for an opening in the kitchen where the milk door used to be. This house had been built in 1974 and at that time milk was still delivered thus requiring a milk door. I have insulated and filled in the exterior hole but needed to do something with the space in the kitchen.

How I made the tambour.

Since I was not staining the door the material I used did not need to be expensive. I chose to use MDF as it is easy to find and relatively inexpensive.

I made my measurements and ripped 1/4 inch strips with the table saw. I then put double sided tape onto a solid surface with the dimensions marked for assembling the tambour. I placed the strips onto the tape ensuring the door was square and even.

I used regular wood glue to fasten the fabric to the strips of MDF. I carefully painted the glue on ensuring not to use too much then placed the fabric onto the tambour and pressed it. I allowed the glue to dry for 24 hours then removed the tambour from the double sided tape. I sanded the hole thing and then rounded all of the edges.

No comments: