Monday, November 13, 2006

University

I have completed a four year University program in nursing. I am a graduate nurse. Now if you have read my profile you also know that I am unemployed. Now you might say to yourself why is this? Is there not a nursing shortage? This is a topic that I intend to address just not in this particular posting. Stay tuned for a discussion about beginning a nursing career.

I began my post secondary education obtaining my secondary school diploma including OAC's with honors. This sadly dates me since OAC's are no longer. Throughout high school I never took any spares and therefor was able to finish quickly. Thinking back I wish I had taken some spare classes and taken the time to breath, taken time for myself. But I did not so that is enough of the should haves, would haves and could haves.

Following high school I entered into the Canadian armed forces with a Regular officer training plan (ROTP) contract. My contract was for a total of nine years. The first four were for completing a degree in civil engineering at the Royal Military College in Kingston. The other five would I would have worked as an engineer in the army. I completed Basic Training and went to RMC.

I enjoyed my time at RMC. Even though it was difficult it was a challenge and I learned many things in the atmosphere there. RMC offers only two strains of degrees either engineering or arts. I did not really think about engineering too much prior to applying but know I had no need or wish to obtain a degree in arts. After an unsuccessful first year academically I chose to honorably discharge from the Canadian armed forces. I enjoyed the military life but was not interested in engineering nor arts.

I left RMC and moved in with grandma. I had no plans as to what I was going to do, I needed to figure out what I wanted.

I decided that I would like to get into some sort of profession where I could help others. I have always been intrigued with search and rescue type jobs and thought I would try to pursue a career as a paramedic or something similar. In the end after researching the education requirements I decided to pursue a Degree in Nursing.

I applied and was accepted into the University of Ottawa four year nursing program. I have since graduated.

No comments: